With the church originally established in Norway during the 11th century, the Oslo Cathedral is a Dutch baroque cruciform church that was consecrated in 1697. Its historical significance as Norway’s first church - home to Oslo’s diocese - is unprecedented, hosting a range of national, royal and parliamentary events.
Visitors to the cathedral can see elements of its transformation undergone through various reconstruction efforts over the last 400 years, from gothic to baroque eras, to commissioned changes made by world renowned architects Alexis de Chateauneuf and Arnstein Arneberg, who was charged with restoring the cathedral back to its baroque elements.
Amongst some of the more interesting remains of the original structure are the pulpit, organ (which is used during the summer months for weekly recitals), ceiling mural, and altarpiece.
The Oslo Cathedral is conveniently located at Stortovet Square, just north of Oslo’s main street and a tribute to King Karl Johan, Karl Johan’s gate. The street also connects the Royal Palace and the city’s main rail station.
For the Catholic faithful, the cathedral holds short and high mass, sermons, has priests available daily, and otherwise leaves the church open for prayer and visitors throughout the day, including Saturday from 12am to 8am.
The cathedral was recently reopened in April 2010 after 4 years of reconstruction.